verse of the day

Thursday 21 September 2017

Follow me. ( Matthew 16 v 24 - 25 )



                          I travelled down a lonely road,
                          and no one seemed to care.
                          The burden on my  weary back,
                          had bowed me to despair.
                          I oft complained to Jesus,
                          how folks were treating me.
                          And then I heard Him say so tenderly;
                          My feet were also  weary upon the Calvary road.
                          The cross became so heavy I fell beneath the load;
                           Be faithful weary pilgrim, the morning I can see,
                           Just lift your cross and follow close to Me.

                           I  work so hard for Jesus,
                           I often boast and say,
                           I've sacrificed a lot of things
                           To walk the narrow way,
                            I gave up fame and fortune,
                            I'm worth a lot to Thee,
                            And then I hear Him gently say to Me;
                            I left the throne of glory, and counted it but loss,
                            My hands were nailed in anger, Upon a cruel cross,
                            But now we'll make the journey ,with your hand
                            safe in Mine,
                            So lift your cross and follow close to Me.

                            O  Jesus if I die upon ,A foreign field
                            some day,
                            Twould be no more than love demands,
                             No less could I repay,
                             No greater love hath mortal man,
                             Than for a friend to die.
                             These are the words He gently spoke to me;
                             If  just a cup of water I place within your hand,
                             Then just a cup of water, is all that I demand,
                              But if by death to living ,they can Thy glory see,
                              I'll take my cross and follow close to Thee.

                                           ( words by Ira F. Stanphill. )
                          

No comments: