verse of the day

Friday 6 April 2018

Distinctness. ( Matthew 7 v 16 )

When I was a young Christian, Christians were distinct from non-Christian,in that we did not go to places of entertainment,we did not smoke ,or drink, gambling  was considered wrong. I remember playing darts with my workmates ,and a person who I considered a friend snubbed me. TV was considered by many out of bounds, and for a long time I did not have one, Women were frowned on if they  put on make up,or if they  wore trousers,,(slacks or jeans).  The term worldliness was often mentioned  and if you  went against the fore mentioned things ,you were considered worldly. .We were seeking to be separate from the world, I personally am glad that I gave up smoking, and drinking,and stopped gambling ,I do not think I was deprived of anything and am the better for it.. Alec Motyer writes,'' This sort of isolationist difference is not what  the Bible looks for. We are called,rather,  to ransack Scriptures to discover the distinctive features of a godly lifestyle and to follow through with a discipline of obedience to the word of God. ''                                                                                                         ''The Lord desires His people to be distinct,                                                                                               He wants us to live in the courts of earth                                                                                                   according to the rules of the courts of heaven''                                                                                                    (  A. Motyer  )

No comments: